Drawbacks of social media platforms include:
- Since users share their data publicly, their privacy is restrained.
- Since users share their private data, their security and safety may be compromised if they publish personally identifiable information.
- There is always the risk of user’s data being leaked or hacked into by persons with malicious intentions.
- It can be used for what is called ‘social media mining’ wherein behaviour of users is observed & analysed and then targeted content may be presented to the users based on such mining. Polarization of users on certain belief can be done by presenting users targeted material.
- It has the notoriety of allowing false content to be shared. Incidents of such content going viral are numerous.
- The menace of cyber-bullying is widely prevalent wherein kids are harassed or embarrassed through such platforms.
- Some people tend to replace their real relationships with online relationships on social media and hence their personal life suffers.
- It can become a distraction due to users getting addicted to always being online.
- Incidents of users getting scammed online are a always heard.
- Some users glamorize alcohol and drugs, which might lead other users, especially youngsters, into glamorizing them too.
- Vulgar and pornographic content often gets posted on such platforms which can be offensive to some people.
- It also leads to stereotyping wherein users may form opinions about a category of people based on the content they share on such platforms.
- In extreme cases, physical and mental health of users can be affected by giving too much time to such platforms and not enough time to physical health & personal relations.
- Trustworthiness of social media content is always doubtful.
- It can be censored anytime.
For Wikipedia entry on Social Media, click here.
For more posts on Social Media, click here.
For more posts in The Cyber Cops project, click here.